Saturday, March 10, 2018

Reality of God

From Unbelievable by John Shelby Spong (emphasis mine):
If God is the Source of Life, then the only way I can appropriately worship God is by living fully. In the process of embracing the fullness of life, I bear witness to the reality of the God who is the Source of Life. ... 
If God is the Source of Love, then the only way I can worship God is by loving “wastefully,” a phrase that I like. By “wasteful” love I mean the kind of love that never stops to calculate whether the object of its love is worthy to be its recipient. It is love that never stops to calculate deserving. It is love that loves not because love has been earned. It is in the act of loving “wastefully” that I believe I make God visible. ... 
If God is the Ground of Being, then the only way I can worship God is by having the courage to be all that I can be; and the more deeply I can be all that I can be, the more I can and do make God visible. ... 
So the reality of God to me is discovered in the experience which compels me to “live fully, to love wastefully and to have the courage to be all that I can be.”

No comments:

Post a Comment